We have Moved

Come and visit the new site, Bumbles & Light.

Bavarian Pretzels


Posted at Foodie Friday

I know the above goodies aren't in any way Bavarian, but the lovely Mom in High Heels showed me a fantastic Italian grocery store yesterday. We went out for breakfast and then headed on over there. Can we say "Italian Food Heaven"? I'm kicking myself that I paid $6 for a ridiculously small bag of semolina flour at the commissary on Wednesday after seeing the selection they had here! I'm also trying to think of something wonderful to cook with the squid ink pasta!

We've been all over the place the past couple of weeks so I haven't been cooking anything particularly exciting. However I did make these Bavarian Pretzels last night, and oh my goodness they're wonderful!




I'm normally pretty terrified of making anything that involves yeast in any way. It just seems so complicated, but this was totally easier than I expected. Also the original recipe calls for using a mixer with a dough hook, if you're anything like me and don't normally bake bread then you may not have such fancy gadgets. You're totally fine mixing this with a plain, lo-tech wooden spoon and then kneading it. It just requires a little more arm work.


Giant Bavarian Pretzels
Original recipe by Katie Barreira

Makes 6 large pretzels.

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 4 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons table salt
  • 1 large egg, separated
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons baking soda
  • Coarse salt, for sprinkling 


    Directions:

    1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk together the water and yeast; let stand for 5 minutes.
    2. Using a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour, brown sugar and table salt. Mix in the egg yolk, butter and yeast mixture on low speed until the dough is smooth and elastic, 5 to 7 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
      If you do not have a dough hook, mix it by hand with a wooden spoon and then knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
    3. In a large, shallow baking dish, combine the baking soda with 2 cups warm water. On a work surface, divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Using your hands, roll out each piece into a rope about 42 inches long; dip in the baking soda mixture for 30 seconds. Using the prepared pans as a work surface, shape each rope into a pretzel.
    4. In a small bowl, beat the egg white with 1 tablespoon water. Brush the pretzels with the egg white mixture. Sprinkle with the coarse salt and bake until deep golden, 12 to 15 minutes.


    Great to eat as a mid afternoon snack with a lovely bottle of German Beer! Of course you can skip the beer and go for something like coffee if you like.

    Post a Comment

    Please do not use the blogger comment form to leave a comment as no one will be able to see it! Please use the intense debate form above.


    I am a 24 year old British stay at home mother to a two year old boy. Married to a U.S. soldier and currently living in Germany.

    I have seen the Vatican from the very top of St Peter's Basilica, the mud in the World War I trenches outside Ypres. I have walked through Montmartre side streets bustling with people in the evening, gotten lost in the streets of Greenwich Village NYC, run through cornfields on the Welsh border and sat outside with a cup of tea watching fireflies in the fields of the outer Chicago suburbs.

    I have held the hands of others through addiction, fear, suicide, despair and come out the other side. I have left everything behind to begin anew.
    I have fought mental illness and walked through snow in the mountains of the lake district, England. I have explored the morgue in the bowels of an abandoned hospital on a summer evening, climbed to the top of scaffolding on the outside of a five floor warehouse to look at the city lights of Nottingham at night and I have watched the sun setting on the Texas horizon.

    I have held my son's tiny hand through the plastic window on an isolette in the NICU ward. Walked, speaking only in whispers, through the catacombs beneath the ground on the outskirts of Rome and seen the fireworks over Heidelberg castle.

    Photobucket