We have Moved

Come and visit the new site, Bumbles & Light.

Creamy Turkey Soup

Posted at Foodie Friday


Autumn is soup weather. I don't care what anyone else says. Sitting inside nursing a steaming bowl of delicious soup, eating some fresh crusty baguette. Watching the cold wind outside pull the red and golden leaves from the branches they are desperately clinging to and scattering them on the grass.

Now try telling me that autumn isn't soup weather.

Really though, I had to plan soup for Thursday's dinner because my poor dear husband had a tooth pulled on Thursday afternoon. Sadly for him that also meant he wasn't able to share the delicious fresh bread with me. I had to eat it all myself, slathered with soft butter, such a shame.

This was also my first time making stock. I'd been under the impression that there was some kind of awkwardness about making stock that required regular people to resort to stock cubes. Actually it was unbelievably easy. We ate Turkey on Sunday, so I pulled the carcass apart and threw it in the slow cooker with some water, spices (parsley, thyme, black peppercorns and a bay leaf) and some veggies (celery, onion and carrots to be exact). I left it in there on low for a day or so. Well, maybe longer because I actually forgot about it.

I scooped off the froth and let the whole thing cool, then strained it into a bowl, put the part I needed for the recipe in the fridge and the rest in the back of the freezer. Now I have enough turkey stock to probably last me for the rest of my life. Or at least for several weeks of non-stop turkey related soup.

Ok here we go.

Creamy Turkey Soup, serves 6


Ingredients
6 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, cut into thin slices
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon savory
1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
1 1/2 cups milk
4 cups leftover (cooked) turkey
5 medium carrots, sliced
1 1/2 cups turkey or chicken stock

Whew, I know that's a long ingredients list. It's mostly made up of stuff you probably have laying around the house anyway though. The list looks slightly daunting to the soup novice (which I certainly am, this being my second. We don't like to talk about my first attempt) but I assure you it isn't.

In a soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and celery and sauté for 4 minutes or until tender.

Stir in flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, savory, and parsley and cook until bubbling. gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.





Add turkey and carrots, then add stock until you reached the desired consistency and bring to a boil.


Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.





Easy and pretty yummy. Plus it's something that's really good to make ahead and refrigerate or freeze.

Post a Comment

Please do not use the blogger comment form to leave a comment as no one will be able to see it! Please use the intense debate form above.


I am a 24 year old British stay at home mother to a two year old boy. Married to a U.S. soldier and currently living in Germany.

I have seen the Vatican from the very top of St Peter's Basilica, the mud in the World War I trenches outside Ypres. I have walked through Montmartre side streets bustling with people in the evening, gotten lost in the streets of Greenwich Village NYC, run through cornfields on the Welsh border and sat outside with a cup of tea watching fireflies in the fields of the outer Chicago suburbs.

I have held the hands of others through addiction, fear, suicide, despair and come out the other side. I have left everything behind to begin anew.
I have fought mental illness and walked through snow in the mountains of the lake district, England. I have explored the morgue in the bowels of an abandoned hospital on a summer evening, climbed to the top of scaffolding on the outside of a five floor warehouse to look at the city lights of Nottingham at night and I have watched the sun setting on the Texas horizon.

I have held my son's tiny hand through the plastic window on an isolette in the NICU ward. Walked, speaking only in whispers, through the catacombs beneath the ground on the outskirts of Rome and seen the fireworks over Heidelberg castle.

Photobucket