We have Moved

Come and visit the new site, Bumbles & Light.

Waking Early

I don't like waking early.

Or at least, I didn't. I still don't like the thought of it.

But as long as it's not pitch black outside when I wake up, I think I'm ok with it. I'm starting to like it. I've been going to bed at around 9 or 10pm and on one of Mikey's "good" mornings we normally wake up at 6 or 7am. When I say wake up I mean, actually get up for the day. He wakes up in the night at around 9pm and then again between 2am and 4am. The second waking I am too tired to rock him back to sleep so he comes into bed with me. With any luck we both fall back to sleep fairly quickly, him normally with at least one limb resting on me, or like last night, him sleeping sideways along the bed with his little feet dangerously close to my nose.

Waking early, however, has some benefit. Mikey is an absolute angel in the mornings. We play for a minute or two on the bed, just to give us both a chance to properly wake up. Then he'll crawl off and play with his toys while I make myself some coffee and breakfast. He'll carry on playing while I eat and mess around on the internet or read a little of a book and then will decide he's had enough and come over to me and point for his breakfast.

After breakfast we play together until he decides he is bored of me, then I'll clean up the parts of the house I didn't do in the evening and empty the dishwasher. Perhaps I'll do some Yoga, Mikey likes to climb on me at this point. Or play peek-a-boo between my legs as I am in downward-facing-dog pose.

By that time I'll realise that it's only 8am, which is too early to even run errands or visit with friends. So we normally hang out and play until a more reasonable hour.

Today I found this blog post. Reading it certainly inspired this one, it made me realise that I am not only ok with waking early but that it is enjoyable in it's own way.

Now on the rare occaision I actually wake up before Mikey, that is a special treat. It reminds me of the routine we had when he was very small.

I think I finally understand why my mum always got up so early when I was a kid.

And for anyone who is interested, I think it really is possible to train yourself to need less sleep. Mikey's got me pretty well trained these days.

Post a Comment

Please do not use the blogger comment form to leave a comment as no one will be able to see it! Please use the intense debate form above.


I am a 24 year old British stay at home mother to a two year old boy. Married to a U.S. soldier and currently living in Germany.

I have seen the Vatican from the very top of St Peter's Basilica, the mud in the World War I trenches outside Ypres. I have walked through Montmartre side streets bustling with people in the evening, gotten lost in the streets of Greenwich Village NYC, run through cornfields on the Welsh border and sat outside with a cup of tea watching fireflies in the fields of the outer Chicago suburbs.

I have held the hands of others through addiction, fear, suicide, despair and come out the other side. I have left everything behind to begin anew.
I have fought mental illness and walked through snow in the mountains of the lake district, England. I have explored the morgue in the bowels of an abandoned hospital on a summer evening, climbed to the top of scaffolding on the outside of a five floor warehouse to look at the city lights of Nottingham at night and I have watched the sun setting on the Texas horizon.

I have held my son's tiny hand through the plastic window on an isolette in the NICU ward. Walked, speaking only in whispers, through the catacombs beneath the ground on the outskirts of Rome and seen the fireworks over Heidelberg castle.

Photobucket