We have Moved

Come and visit the new site, Bumbles & Light.

Divine Lemon-Blueberry Muffins


Posted at Foodie Friday, hop on over and check out some more delicious recipes!

Yesterday was a fun trip to the Bauhaus (German version of Home Depot I guess) to collect lots of supplies for different projects. I got more than I'd written on my list, isn't that always the way? One thing I did not buy was the wood to build the bookshelves I promised my husband. Money is a little tight this paycheck after putting down the deposit for the car and what with the hubby at his sisters wedding. Those will have to wait.

I did however get a few indoor gardening supplies and the things that I need to give Mikey's toybox bench a makeover. A friend found the toybox out in the trash, so it was a little worse for wear. Planning on finishing that off this weekend! I finally managed to find the chicken wire I'd been searching for forever to put up my new notice board. The frame is sitting in the kitchen waiting for the stain to dry.

Before we start the food, I just need to say that these are probably the best things I've ever baked in my life. I'm not big on baking, it's normally a disaster. I over-mix, things don't rise, they burn. But these were oh-so-divine, especially warm from the oven. I've been on a bit of a blueberry kick lately and they totally hit the spot.

Lemon-Blueberry Muffins
Food & Wine August 2005

Ingredients

  1. 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  2. 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  3. 2 teaspoons baking powder
  4. 3/4 teaspoon salt
  5. 1 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh, I used frozen because, well it's only March)
  6. 2 large eggs
  7. 1/2 cup milk
  8. 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  9. Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
  10. 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (you should get just enough from the lemon you just zested. Is zested a word? You know what I mean.)

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter a standard 12-cup muffin pan. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the blueberries.
  2. In another medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, oil and lemon zest, then whisk in the lemon juice. Using a rubber spatula, fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until blended; do not overmix.
  3. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. 
  4. Let the muffins stand in the pan for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer them to a rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature. 

 
  
  
Then see how much you can fit in your mouth at once, making sure you get as much on your fingers and face as possible. Enjoy!

Post a Comment

Please do not use the blogger comment form to leave a comment as no one will be able to see it! Please use the intense debate form above.


I am a 24 year old British stay at home mother to a two year old boy. Married to a U.S. soldier and currently living in Germany.

I have seen the Vatican from the very top of St Peter's Basilica, the mud in the World War I trenches outside Ypres. I have walked through Montmartre side streets bustling with people in the evening, gotten lost in the streets of Greenwich Village NYC, run through cornfields on the Welsh border and sat outside with a cup of tea watching fireflies in the fields of the outer Chicago suburbs.

I have held the hands of others through addiction, fear, suicide, despair and come out the other side. I have left everything behind to begin anew.
I have fought mental illness and walked through snow in the mountains of the lake district, England. I have explored the morgue in the bowels of an abandoned hospital on a summer evening, climbed to the top of scaffolding on the outside of a five floor warehouse to look at the city lights of Nottingham at night and I have watched the sun setting on the Texas horizon.

I have held my son's tiny hand through the plastic window on an isolette in the NICU ward. Walked, speaking only in whispers, through the catacombs beneath the ground on the outskirts of Rome and seen the fireworks over Heidelberg castle.

Photobucket