We have Moved

Come and visit the new site, Bumbles & Light.

Sausage and Smashed Potatoes

Posted at Foodie Friday



I hit 100 followers yesterday!

I started this blog over a year ago with my husband, just before he deployed to Iraq. It was intended as a sort of way for us to keep up with each others interests and things like that. It didn't quite work out, mostly due to the fact that he had a terrible internet connection down range but he was also very busy with work.

I ended up posting most of the time, just bits and pieces about life, photographs and about Mikey. Later I began to post recipes and then crafts. I pretty much completely took over this blog as my own and my husband is no longer interested in it, apart from to poke fun at me when I take photographs of our dinner to post on here! I've watched my number of followers grow steadily over the past few months especially and I am so unbelievably flattered that so many of you are interested in reading what I have to say!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone who has followed, subscribed (I didn't forget about you guys!) and left me comments. I love you guys!

Anyway, yes... food.

This was a bit of a thrown together, last minute meal. You know, the kind when you realise you really need to go grocery shopping but it's already 5pm? Yeah...

Sausage and Smashed Potato
Partially inspired by recipes from Real Simple, Jan 2010 and Nigella Express

Serves 2 (large servings)

Ingredients

  • about 10 small red potatoes, washed and halved
  • kosher salt
  • black pepper
  • 4 rashers of bacon
  • olive oil
  • 4 German Sausages (we used Bauernbratwurst, not sure what that means but they were good! You could also use Italian Sausage if so inclined.)
  • 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
  • 2 tsp white wine vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • just under 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Cook the bacon with the garlic until the bacon is crispy. Transfer to a plate, cover with a paper towel and set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the sausages and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through.

Meanwhile place the potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and add 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 18 minutes. Drain.

In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, mustard, vinegar, a little salt and pepper. Crumble the now cooled bacon into the bowl. Add the potatoes, scallions, and parsley and mix, mashing gently. Cut the sausages into large pieces and serve with the potatoes.



I have to add, I'm not sure what the deal was with my "red" potatoes, they were pale red before cooking but regular potato looking after!

Post a Comment

Please do not use the blogger comment form to leave a comment as no one will be able to see it! Please use the intense debate form above.


I am a 24 year old British stay at home mother to a two year old boy. Married to a U.S. soldier and currently living in Germany.

I have seen the Vatican from the very top of St Peter's Basilica, the mud in the World War I trenches outside Ypres. I have walked through Montmartre side streets bustling with people in the evening, gotten lost in the streets of Greenwich Village NYC, run through cornfields on the Welsh border and sat outside with a cup of tea watching fireflies in the fields of the outer Chicago suburbs.

I have held the hands of others through addiction, fear, suicide, despair and come out the other side. I have left everything behind to begin anew.
I have fought mental illness and walked through snow in the mountains of the lake district, England. I have explored the morgue in the bowels of an abandoned hospital on a summer evening, climbed to the top of scaffolding on the outside of a five floor warehouse to look at the city lights of Nottingham at night and I have watched the sun setting on the Texas horizon.

I have held my son's tiny hand through the plastic window on an isolette in the NICU ward. Walked, speaking only in whispers, through the catacombs beneath the ground on the outskirts of Rome and seen the fireworks over Heidelberg castle.

Photobucket