We have Moved

Come and visit the new site, Bumbles & Light.

Grilled Pork with Maple Syrup Sweet Potatoes

Posted at Foodie Friday and Food on Fridays.

Seriously, this stuff is too good. Sadly we lack an outdoor grill, honestly I'm not the biggest fan of them but that's probably because I never really had food grilled on an outdoor grill much when I was a kid. England doesn't really have the weather for it, neither does Germany. I was, however, rescued by a new purchase this morning. A grill pan for my stove! So here goes.

Grilled Pork with Maple Syrup Sweet Potatoes (From the July issue of Real Simple magazine)
Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 Pork Chops

Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
4 Small Sweet P
otatoes cut into wedges
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
2 Scallions, chopped


Heat Grill to Medium High. Season Pork with a bit of the salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through, about 8 minutes per side (with 1 inch thick chops, adjust time for larger or smaller pieces)


That's my sexy new grill pan!

Anyway, while those are cooking, toss the sweet potatoes with half of the olive oil and a bit of the salt and pepper. Grill, turning often, until tender and slightly charred (10 - 12 minutes). Reserve the bowl.

To the reserved bowl, add the syrup, scallions, the remaining oil and some more salt and pepper. When the Sweet potatoes are done throw them in and toss until coated.

Serve together.



Oh my, it was so good. The charring and the scallions really take that "too sweet" edge off of the sweet potatoes, ordinarily the husband and I are not huge fans of the stuff. But I'll be making this again for sure. Mikey liked it too, but then he has always been quite the fan of sweet potato. If I remember rightly it was his absolute favourite food when he first started on solids.

In other news, I totally got my hair cut. Actually I got it cut a while ago and forgot to post it. I have horrible hair, very dry and breaks off a lot. I am always trying to grow it long, but seriously it just does not want to grow any further than my chin and tends to look not dissimilar to a birds nest. So I took the plunge and had it all chopped off.



I'm pleased with it. Don't tell anyone, but some mornings I don't even have to do anything to it and it still looks half decent. Which makes a change for sure.

The Mikey Monster also got a hair cut a while back, courtesy of daddy. Mummy had to fix it because he looked scarily similar to Jim Carrey's character in Dumb and Dumber. Not a good look. But here he is in all of his short haired, covered in Nutella glory.


And to finish, here's a photo of my gorgeous boys. We bought that adorable hat for Mikey last year, even though it was too big at the time. I am so glad it fits him now because I love it. It makes me wish I had a chimney for him to sweep (and that he spoke with an old fashioned Lahndahn accent, which sadly he does not.)


PS. Please excuse my grainy photographs. The light has been bad in the house recently so I've had to set my poor little compact camera to a high ISO just so as you can actually see anything in the photo.

Post a Comment

Please do not use the blogger comment form to leave a comment as no one will be able to see it! Please use the intense debate form above.


I am a 24 year old British stay at home mother to a two year old boy. Married to a U.S. soldier and currently living in Germany.

I have seen the Vatican from the very top of St Peter's Basilica, the mud in the World War I trenches outside Ypres. I have walked through Montmartre side streets bustling with people in the evening, gotten lost in the streets of Greenwich Village NYC, run through cornfields on the Welsh border and sat outside with a cup of tea watching fireflies in the fields of the outer Chicago suburbs.

I have held the hands of others through addiction, fear, suicide, despair and come out the other side. I have left everything behind to begin anew.
I have fought mental illness and walked through snow in the mountains of the lake district, England. I have explored the morgue in the bowels of an abandoned hospital on a summer evening, climbed to the top of scaffolding on the outside of a five floor warehouse to look at the city lights of Nottingham at night and I have watched the sun setting on the Texas horizon.

I have held my son's tiny hand through the plastic window on an isolette in the NICU ward. Walked, speaking only in whispers, through the catacombs beneath the ground on the outskirts of Rome and seen the fireworks over Heidelberg castle.

Photobucket